History of Hadlow Down Village Hall

HADLOW DOWN’S VILLAGE HALL: PAST AND THE FUTURE?
Hadlow Down’s first village hall, although not named as such, was a large hut obtained from the YMCA and erected on land donated by the Eridge Estate; it was always known as ‘the Hut’ or ‘the Red Triangle Hut’ after its previous owners’ symbol.  Opened on June 8th 1921 by Princess Marie Louise, Queen Victoria’s last grandchild, it immediately became the focal point for many of the village’s activities. The Hut hosted many social occasions, classes, Horticultural Society meetings, the Organ Club, British Legion (male and female branches) the Happy Circle for older members of the village, the Jazz Club, the Pied Pipers drama group, and the Bowls Club. It was also used for more formal meetings such as the Church Parochial Council and the Parish Council. Continue reading “History of Hadlow Down Village Hall”

Harry Noakes PC 214

PC Noakes was  born in Hadlow Down in 1890 a Sergeant number 204669 in the Hampshire Regiment 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battalion. He died age 28 the husband of Alice Annie Noakes.
Harry Noakes was killed at Tynecotstraat on the 9th. August 1918 and is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial.
He enlisted at Winchester when he gave his residence as Crowborough, Hants (?)
Harry Noakes joined the Surrey Constabulary on 16th September 1912 aged 22, and was sworn in at Guildford before Col. Ricardo and Capt Briscoe on 20th September 1912. His appointment number was 1630 and his collar number 214. At the time of his appointment his gave his trade as Groom working for Mr Les Chattas at Highams.
There were considerable allied advances throughout the Western Front during the second week of August 1918. The Tyne Cot Memorial is one of four memorials to the missing in Belgian Flanders, which cover the area known as the Ypres Salient.

Dollina Margaret Ford

Miss Dollina Margaret Ford
Dollina Margaret Ford was born to Margaret and Edward Ford on the 13th June 1891 in Hadlow Down.   Her father registered her birth on the 29th of July.  She was the couples first child.
She was Baptised at the Parish Church of St Marks on the 23rd of August 1891, a year after her parents Edward and Margaret were married there.
Dollina boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a third class passenger, together with her mother and siblings. All were lost in the disaster, their bodies, if recovered, were never identified.
Note
In the passenger list she is listed as “Daisy” Ford.